I received a ton of positive feedback from my ‘Eat Like Me’ post, so I decided to put a little spin on it and let you guys know some healthy and delicious beverage options I like. Skip the energy drinks, soda, and sugar-exploding fruit juices and go with these healthier options.
1. Unsweetened Green Tea: If I need a little energy boost, I turn to tea because it does not have all the extra sugar like soda. Plus, a significant amount of research has shown that it is possible for green tea to benefit your health in many ways–everything from boost metabolism to supporting brain health.
2. Sparking Water: Regular seltzer water such as Perrier or flavored sparkling water are both smart alternatives to soda. I like it with a slice of lemon or a few pieces of frozen fruit thrown in. You still get that bubbly drink, but it has less sugar and calories.
3. Low-calorie beer: I am not a fan of sugary drinks when I go to happy hour. Instead, I opt for a vodka soda (soda water) with extra lime. Most of my friends have converted over to my vodka soda choice as well. Try it! If I am going to have a beer, I will go with MGD 64–meaning 64 calories.
Some other tips to avoid drinking away calories:
- If you are going to have fruit juice, fill your cup with half juice and the other half with water. It will still taste delicious and you will cut back on all the unnecessary sugar.
- If you are going to drink soda, buy it in the can instead of a liter because your 12 oz portion is already measured out for you. You will be more likely to drink more if you pour your soda from the liter. (They also have those cute miniature cans at the store now.)
- If you get soda from a self-serve fountain at a restaurant, fill your cup up 3/4 of the way with ice. That way, you’ll have less soda to drink.
- Calories in coffee drinks can add up quickly. If I go, I will get a regular cup of coffee (so I have control over how much cream and sugar are put in it), a mocha frappuccino lite, or an unsweetened iced tea. Check out the nutrition info for Starbucks online and find the most healthy option for your favorite drink. You may be surprised about what you find..
- Lastly, I know you hear this all the time, but I have to say it: Drink lots of water throughout the day! Your body will love you if you keep it hydrated.